Equalizing a voice can be a tedious process. Finding those offensive frequencies and treating them without altering the natural tone of the voice is no easy feat to achieve.
If you want to improve your voice recordings and make them cut through your mix, or even give back some of the liveliness on a poorly recorded voice, then the ERA 5 Voice auto EQ is the right tool for you.
Using the plug-in is super easy:
1) Open your host, create an audio track, and import a voice recording.
2) Insert the plugin in the audio track. Alternatively, drag and drop the plugin on the audio clip you want to process.
3) Locate in your timeline a section of recorded speech that is representative of the overall recording. This will be used for the learning process that will take place in the next step. Ideally, there should be only one voice in this recording.
4) Start the playback so the ERA 5 Voice auto EQ can begin with the learning step.
Note: FCPX users, please read this article
5) The ERA 5 Voice auto EQ is now listening to your recording. Once the learning process is successfully complete, the overlay will disappear and the learn button should look like this.
Note: It is important to complete the learning process uninterrupted. For best results, do not jump to another region or stop the playback
If the learning process is interrupted or is partially completed, the Voice auto EQ will notify you about it. Press the learn button and repeat step 4.
Tip: Make sure to do another take, choosing a longer part.
Once the learning process is complete the ERA 5 Voice auto EQ’s algorithm, is now set to perform some corrective processing under the hood to your voice. Now you can process your voice using the triangle navigator to balance between three presets, body, air, and clarity.
Use the intensity slider to control the amount of equalization.
Tip: If the difference is not easily distinguishable when navigating in the triangle, feel free to increase the intensity to the point that the differences are easily distinguishable. Find the perfect spot in the triangle, and then readjust the intensity control.
With the Voice auto EQ, the equalization process becomes an easy task for everyone. You can now make your voice cut through the mix, salvage a poorly recorded voice, and give it the right character, effortless.
If you want to explore more on ERA 5 Voice Deepener, visit our blog here.