Whether you are into beats and loops, whether you are an amateur or pro, a bedroom producer or you prefer performing live, chances are you probably have a variety of MIDI controllers in your arsenal helping you create and produce great music.
Surely, you don’t need a MIDI controller or a MIDI keyboard to make music but there’s no denying they can be a very useful and time-saving tool, essentially making your life easier and allowing more time for you to be creative and productive.
What’s important, however, is for you to choose a MIDI controller you can rely and make great music on, a controller that inspires you and can adjust to your needs.
These are some of the newest MIDI controllers for 2019, so far...
The SL MIXFACE is a complete controller device which combines style and simplicity with a powerful engine. Designed for mobility, you can bring it everywhere and use it in total freedom thanks to its hosting capability and auto-mapping of the main DAW apps. You can switch the control from the DAW environment to your favorite instrument and vice versa. It can host any MIDI keyboard, turning it into a full 4-layer controller
And a plus for SL keyboard owners: it perfectly matches, due to its magnetic system, the SL controller line expanding its control capability.
- 9 faders
- 8 knobs
- 8 buttons
- transport Button: Rew/FF/Stop/Play/Rec
- cycle button
- connector: micro USB (Device), USB A Host
- Powered by Micro USB or AAA Batteries
- Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy
- Dimensions: 262 x 130 x 36 mm
- Weight: 570 g
2. Joué by Joué
MIDI controller with interchangeable "Magic Modules"
An innovative and expressive, customizable and configurable modular MIDI controller that feels like a real instrument. It is made of wood and metal and is equipped with a polyphonic pressure sensor on which magic modules are placed.
- Highly-sensitive polyphonic pressure sensor
- Can be equipped with different editions, so-called "Magic Modules", and adapted to your own needs
- 3 Slots for Magic Modules available
- Type of module is automatically detected via integrated RFID reader
- Each module converts vertical, horizontal, and press movements into MIDI data
- Configuration via Joué-Editor (requires at least Mac OSX 10.10 or at least Win8)
- Class Compliant / Plug & Play
- USB-C connection
- Dimensions: 360 x 130 x 15.6 mm
- Weight: 800 g
USB Pad Controller
The Atom is a usefully compact pad controller for Impact XT and the Pattern Sequencer in Studio One, and can also hold its own in other DAWs and with other instruments.
It is portable yet versatile and helps you produce beats and trigger sound effects and loops with unsurpassed expressiveness and flexibility.
Both a compact, dynamic performance controller and a tightly integrated production environment, PreSonus®’ ATOM pad controller and included Studio One® Artist production software let you create and perform with ease. ATOM is compatible with most music software and lets you perform and produce with virtual instruments and trigger samples and loops in real-time, using 16 full-size, velocity- and pressure-sensitive RGB pads and 8 assignable pad banks.
ATOM is a great production pad controller but also an instrument controller. Use the velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads to play your virtual instruments live, with incredible expressiveness.
- Flexible controller for production and performance
- Perfect integration with Presonus Studio One, compatible with any DAW
- Triggering virtual instruments, triggering drum samples and loops
- 16 Stop and pressure dynamic RGB pads
- Polyphonic aftertouch
- 8 Pad benches
- Pad stop curve adjustable
- 20 Freely assignable buttons
- 4 Endless encoders
- MIDI Keyboard, Note Repeat and Full Velocity Mode
- USB 2.0 port
- Includes USB cable, Presonus Studio One Artist DAW Software and MVP Loops Content
- Dimensions: 202 x 195 x 21 mm
- Weight: 450 g
Compact USB / MIDI Pad and Keyboard Controller, Ideal for Ableton Live
This Akai favorite since 2014 -now out in a new, fierce color- lets you access your virtual instrument and effect collection, seamlessly integrating the hardware / software experience, granting you the unrestricted freedom to create in a user-friendly, intuitive format.
Dedicated Octave Up and Down buttons increase the keyboard to the full melodic range, and a sustain pedal input is built in for expressive playing and recording. An onboard arpeggiator with adjustable resolution, range, and modes makes it easy to create intricate melodic lines with little effort. Plus, MPC Note Repeat and Full Level allow users to access genuine technologies from Akai Professional’s line of MPC workstations.
- 25 Synth-action keys
- 4-Way joystick for dynamic pitch / modulation control
- 8 MPC pads with note repeat
- 8 Assignable controls for mixing, plug-in control and more
- 6.3 mm Jack input for sustain pedal
- Power supply via USB, power supply not required
- Dimensions: 318 x 181 x 44 mm
- Weight: 750 g
5. AKAI Fire (FL Studio dedicated)
USB Controller for FL Studio
The new Akai Professional Fire represents the first of its kind, a dedicated hardware controller for the FL Studio Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) platform. Created in close partnership with Image-Line, Fire is a high-performance tool designed to enhance the workflow and music-creating experience for all FL Studio producers.
- Plug-and-play integration with FL Studio
- 4x 16 Matrix with velocity-sensitive RGB pads
- Graphic OLED display
- 4 Benches with assignable touch-sensitive controls
- Instantly navigate the Channel Rack, Browser, Tool Bar and Playlist windows
- Recording notes in Performance mode
- Power supply via USB bus
- Includes FL Studio Fruity Fire Edition
- Dimensions: 316 x 43 x 166 mm
- Weight: 760 g
Standalone Mini USB Keyboard Controller
The ultra-portable MPK Mini Play is based on the Akai Professional’s MPK Mini—but now it comes packed with 128 sounds and its own built-in speaker. With 8 backlit MPC drum pads and a 4-way joystick for simple control, players have all they need to play their music anytime, anywhere. Four knobs (two banks capable of controlling eight different parameters) can be used to tweak sounds and edit multiple parameters in real-time, giving musicians even more performance possibilities. It comes bundled with professional production software and virtual instruments for immediate music creation. Hybrid 3, by AIR Music Tech, is a high-definition synthesizer that can create anything from fat, retro synth sounds to edgy modern leads and everything in between. SONiVOX’s Wobble is an electronic music grime synthesizer that features two independent channels of spectral morphing synthesis with harmonic controls, individual filtering, and discrete LFO controls.
- 25 Touch-sensitive synth-action mini-keys
- 8 Backlit pads with Note Repeat and Full Level function (x2 banks)
- 4 Controls for editing internal sounds or parameters (x2 banks)
- 128 Built-in sounds and 10 drum kits
- Built-in speaker
- OLED display
- Pitch / modulation joystick
- 3.5 mm Headphone output
- 6.3 mm Sustain pedal input
- USB port
- Power supply: 3x AA batteries or USB bus power
- Dimensions: 312 x 172 x 46 mm
- Weight: 450 g
- ProTools First, Akai Pro MPC Essentials, AIR Music Tech Hybrid 3 and SONiVOX Wobble (Download)
Looking forward to:
7. Sensi M
Modular Bluetooth MIDI Controller
Sensi M is made to enhance your expressivity while creating and performing. Totally adaptable to your needs, lets you create your own set up with it’s Pressure and Turn Atoms. Sensi M is modular and small enough to fit in your pocket. You can use it as a standalone controller or it can be -literally- attached to your instrument.
It is a MIDI controller that helps you make beats anywhere, enhance the sound of any instrument and play chords without stretching your fingers.
Another plus is that you can use Sensi M modules as an expressive extension for your other MIDI controllers.
8. Mine S by Special Waves
A totally customizable, programmable, hot-swappable controller
Mine S is a versatile -dyi- modular controller. It is a cleverly designed, intuitive modular controller that puts the power to create right in your hands. Using an easy swap-in/swap-out design for its 6 modules (on a 4x8 grid), even during a live performance, you can create the controller that you need to make the best out of your software for your music, light show, visual effect, video editing and more.